The man’s suit is basically unchanged in the past 100 years. If you read my section on Permanent Fashion you already know I think that is a good thing. So since the Suit is so basic how do you spice things up?
Accessories is what separates a lousy dresser from a good dresser and a good dresser from a great dresser. So what am I talking about?
The following are a list of accessories that if done correctly will make people notice. I have broken down accessories into two categories (1) Major and (2) Minor. The Major accessories are a must have, the Minor accessories are the one’s that really set you apart.
- SHOES – I know it seems silly, but selecting the correct shoe is very important.
- THE TIE – Always wear one. Doesn’t matter if its a Neck Tie or a Bow Tie. The Tie is so important it can change the look of a suit dramatically.
- THE POCKET SQUARE – Some will say this is not a major accessory, but just wear one and see how many people compliment you on the way you look.
- CUFF LINKS – It is like the American Express Card “NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT” . Sorry guys you will never be considered a great dresser if you don’t wear Cuff Links
- THE HAT – Over the past 15 years (long before Don Draper and Mad Men) I have been sporting a hat. I don’t feel dressed if I am not wearing my hat. People tell me all the time that they can’t pull a hat off. I say it’s nonsense everyone can wear one and look great in it.
- BRACES – You may call the suspenders. DON’T They are Braces! Braces have buttons and Suspenders clip on to the pants. Don’t ever wear suspenders.
- TIE BAR – Tie bars look great if they are worn properly. 1st Rule – they should be plain and not too fancy 2nd Rule – they should be wore at your nipple not your belly button.
- JEWELRY – The only jewelry a gentleman should wear are Rings (no more than two on one hand) and a Watch! Period! Leave the necklaces and bracelets to the ladies guys.
- COLLAR BAR – old school you should only wear if you are thin. I love them but my neck and head are too big so I don’t wear them anymore
- TIE TACK – If it made of Diamonds go ahead and put a hole in your tie, if not let the boy scouts wear these.
- LAPEL PIN – Some of my very best friends wear them and they a great dressers, but they are not for me